Monday, February 22, 2010

Challenges of a "normal day"

 Having a physical disability adds a few extra challenges to overcome in ones day.  Have you have ever dislocated a knee, shoulder, wrist, or sprained an ankle, do you remember the pain that was associated with it? Well that pretty much describes the pain I live with 90 % of the time to varying degrees as I dislocate extremely easily as the soft connective tissue, the glue that hold a body together is a bit faulty. So on the humorous side I give new meaning to the term "coming unglued", but hey, if I can't laugh at myself then I have a far bigger problem. My condition can get so painful that its excruciating to walk, move or even sit; well, that about describes today. My hip partially dislocated this morning as I was sitting down, ouch, well more like ARGGGGHHHH, yes I screamed, cried, got frustrated, packed my low back and hip with ice. Cried while making my breakfast as it was so excruciating each time I attempted to move, but I know having a belly of food helps give me strength. Thank goodness for day old pancakes that are easy to pop in the toaster and reheat.
I work pretty hard at keeping a positive attitude as its real easy to slip into the self pity pot when immobilized for days on end. I believe everyone has some type of challenge they have to overcome, whether it be physical, mental or spiritual. My mother used to say "what doesn't kill you makes you stronger" I always thought that was a weird statement, but growing up there was never a shortage of old cliches, seems they were on the tips of every tongue ready and poised for an action to fit. As I age I find myself remember more an more of these and wonder how many generations the same old saying get presented for new experiences. On that note I retire back to the ice packs before my screaming sets the birds to flight. Have a great blessed day filled with Hugs, we all need them.
"Biting off more than you can chew"

2 comments:

Four Seasons in a Life said...

Greetings Teresa,

I am sorry to learn that you are suffering pain and that it effects your daily movements. As we get older these things only increase and challenge us. Just when we wish to explore and do the things we did not accomplish earlier, age now restricts those hopes.

Warmest regards,
Egmont

teresa stieben said...

thank you for your kind comments. Perseverance is my biggest ally Egmont. And yes though I have become physically restricted I am very lucky technology keeps me walking. I am also blessed with a dear friend who willingly carries my camera when I cannot.