Wednesday, April 21, 2010

nesting time

A wonderful find, times two!

whaaaat?

Great Horned Owl, I believe this may be a female. After stretching and looking about she gave a few hoots and was answered from close by with a responding hoot. She flew to another tree top, rested a bit, then we heard some weird hissing sounds and she flew right into an evergreen tree. In the following shot she gave one last peek out at me then settled down into the nest out of sight.


Moments after taking that shot another owl flew right over my head and landed behind me. This one is much smaller and whiter coloration than the first one. I am thinking this must be the mate.


it was such a wonderful evening stroll, to good not to be shared.

2 comments:

john said...

Wow, I have never seen a G.H.Owl as pale as that male. I wonder which sub-species it could be? Great photos.

Lynda Schumacher said...

Owls are such intriguing birds. Great photos, Teresa.