Wednesday, January 20, 2010

sketch book

Decided to post a few of my sketchbook pages. I tend to fill the pages with roughs for the most part, yet every once in a while a more finished sketch is presented.


These are what I refer to as "roughs" which are ideas and images that stimulate imagery for paintings. Some roughs work up as paintings, some don't. Yet they do seep into my sub-conscience as I can look back at roughs from years back and realize that certain themes and ideas repeat till they formulate into a conceivable work. I definitely never have the problem of lack of visual imagery. There is so much that I still would like to play with, the biggest problem is deciding which to work on first.


This is a rough up for a potential watercolor painting. When working with watercolor I find it necessary to initially work out the design before committing to the 300 lb paper. Whereas when I paint with acrylic I usually have a general idea, yet plunge right in with paint to sketch in the birds right on the canvas. Acrylic is much more forgiving to making alterations than watercolor is. In other words when it comes to acrylics I can push paint around, play with the imagery, overpaint and alter.



I was perusing a book on poetry while relaxing in my recliner today with my cup of morning coffee when I came upon a wonderful reproduction of a Odilon Redon painting. The colors were juicy enticing so I scribbled this little sketch with watercolor pencils. I always put a note as to the artists name if I copy or even if I do my own version of another artists work. For me this is practice in seeing how other artists see and depict an image; so of course I am not a slave to the reproduction and I don't worry about the sketch being accurate in color. Its all about learning not copying per se.


This was a bouquet that I sketched last year? I never date my sketches nor do I fill the pages in order. Sketches end up drawn randomly anywhere the page opens. Sometimes a sketch book gets half filled, put aside, then years later picked up and drawn in once again.

1 comment:

john said...

Interesting post Teresa. Raw creativity often shows in quick sketches in a purer form than in a more refined work. People often respond more to my preliminary sketches than to the completed work. I wonder if I should try to sell my sketches?