Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Charity

Last friday a friend took me to a  Society of St Vincent de Paul charity sale where I picked up this tiny bird frog. I paid $4.00 for it which I feel was overpriced, but felt it would be cute with spring violets in it. The vase sketch was done a few years back. My sketchbooks are getting full so I'm now drawing on pages not previously filled in.
I used to enjoy going to church sales for an outing and to purchase reasonably priced knick-nacks. I find now though that greed has overtaken and items have become overpriced. When I mentioned prices to a volunteer the attitude was if someone really wants it they will pay for it, after all its for charity. How sad. Charity sales that used to serve dual purpose of raising funds and selling items at low cost so low income people could have a few nice affordable items are now only looking to sell at overinflated prices.  I discovered to my dismay Loonie store items at triple their costs, ouch! needless to say my purchase was tiny. 
Anyhow regarding the expensive purchase I figured I had best draw it seeing as I keep telling my children that I collect trinkets to use in paintings and about now they are starting to wonder if I am rather too easily influenced by pretties as I really have not been drawing or adding them to paintings that often. My daughter called me a hoarder, ouch! Really I do have good intention to use the pieces in paintings.

3 comments:

Cathy said...

Hi Teresa, I was interested to read your comment about charities increasing prices for items. We have the same thing over here with Oxfam, which is the original charity shop founded in Oxford many years ago. They do tend to hike the prices up and sometimes the garments might have stains etc. Their second hand books are quite costly too. I think they are reducing their own sales by charging too much. I realise it is for charity, but the charity won't benefit if the customer doesn't buy the item.

tess stieben said...

So true.

tess stieben said...

So true.